My mom’s a great cook and so an interest in cooking started early for me. I was a young child in the era before we could look up any recipe we could imagine on the Internet, so yes, we had a LOT of cookbooks (and I still do)! We had a lot of kid’s cookbooks to choose from, but there were definitely some favorites. This one in particular, I think I made almost every recipe in it! As you can see, it’s been lovingly used over the years. My parents recently moved and so my mom was going through some of their things and decided to pass on some of the kid’s cookbooks to me. 1) I was the kid who used them the most and 2) I have kids that are of the age that they might want to use them, but so far, unfortunately, they haven’t shown much interest.
One of the recipes I remember making several times and being a family-favorite was the Spaghetti-Crust Pie. I changed the recipe slightly by using shredded mozzarella cheese instead of the slices… better coverage and more cheese!
It’s a tad bit more complicated than making plain old spaghetti, but it’s a fun twist on a classic. It can also be made ahead of time, so then when you’re ready you can just throw it in the oven. Add some garlic bread in the oven and make a salad while you’re waiting, and you have a meal in no time!
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) pasta sauce
- 4 ounces (1 cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Drain spaghetti and put into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix butter into warm spaghetti until it melts.
- Mix in eggs and Parmesan cheese into the spaghetti.
- Spray a 9-10″ pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the spaghetti into the pie plate and press the spaghetti to form it into a crust, building up the sides.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef and the onion.
- Drain and add the pasta sauce. Stir until heated through.
- Spoon the meat mixture into the spaghetti crust. smoothing out the top.
- Bake the spaghetti pie for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the pie and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Let the pie stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut into 6 slices and serve.